14.6 Cr (145.7 Million) Indians watched at least one film in a theatre in 2019, reveals Ormax Media’s report ‘Sizing The Cinema’
~ South Indian states have the strongest theatrical penetration; contribute 44% to India’s theatrical reach ~
Mumbai, October 5, 2020: Media consulting firm Ormax Media released its research report titled Sizing The Cinema: An Ormax Media Report on India’s Theatrical Audience Reach. The report, based on a survey of 5,600 Indians in Urban & Rural India, is India’s first definitive study to size the theatrical audience universe in India. The data for the survey was collected in Jan-Mar 2020, before the lockdown as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
As per the report, 14.6 Cr (145.7 Million) Indians went to a theatre to watch a film at least once in 2019. India’s theatrical reach is, hence, 10.5% of its population. These 14.6 Cr audience contributed to 103.0 Cr theatrical footfalls in 2019, i.e., an average of 7.1 films per capita (across languages).
- 58% of the theatrical reach comes from Urban India. Rural India accounts for 69% of India’s population but only 42% of India’s theatrical audience, because of lower theatrical penetration.
- 52% male population of India contributes 61% to the theatrical universe. Median age of a theatre-goer in India is 27.5 years.
- South India is easily the most-penetrated zone, with 22% of the population having visited a theatre in 2019. As a result, it contributes 44% to the theatrical universe, more than twice its contribution to India’s population at 21%.
- Hindi (51%), Telugu (21%), Tamil (19%) and Hollywood (15% including dubbed versions) are the top 4 languages in which films are watched in theatres in India.
- An average Indian theatre-goer watches films in 1.4 languages, with Kerala (1.7) and Maharashtra (1.6) showing the highest multi-language incidence.
Commenting on the report and its findings, Shailesh Kapoor, Founder & CEO – Ormax Media said: “The quality of data available on Indian theatrical audience is very poor. At 14.6 Cr, India’s theatrical universe is sizeable enough to deserve better quality of data. In a diverse and multi-lingual country like ours, absence of such data can be significant limiting factors for studios and independent producers when they are planning their content & marketing strategies. This study focuses on understanding the demographic of the Indian theatre-goer, as well as mapping language duplication across various states in India, among other things. We believe it will help various stakeholders in the theatrical business take more informed decisions.”
About Ormax Media:
Headquartered in Mumbai, Ormax media is India’s first specialized media analytics & consulting firm. Using its proprietary consumer research, forecasting and data analytics tools, Ormax media provides strategic solution for businesses operating in media & entertainment sector in India, in areas such as content testing, campaign tracking, brand equity research, audience and category understanding among others. Since its inception in 2008, Ormax media has built a slate of more than 20 proprietary products in the areas of forecasting, modelling and business analytics that are used extensively by the industry as a gold-standard in decisions related to content selection, brand & content strategy and strategic business investments.
Ormax Media partners with more than 85 leading media & entertainment brands in India, including Star India, Viacom 18, Zee, Times Network, Sony Pictures Networks, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ Hotstar, Yash Raj Films, Dharma Productions and many others.
For more information, log on to: https://www.ormaxmedia.com/
MSL | Shawn Xavier| +91 956 143 2018